Sunday, June 12, 2016

Presentation Software

I use Microsoft PowerPoint alot when I have to do a presentation of some kind or preach or whatever. When I was comparing Google Slides/Presentations against Microsoft PowerPoint I found that both were just about the same. The only difference I could notice was that Google had less options in the fonts, transitions, and animations. Microsoft offers in slide animations but I could not find them in Google's presentation software. Additionally Microsoft offers far more fonts and transition options compared to Google.
One major difference is obviously the collaborative aspect of Google Presentations. I would see why schools might prefer Google Presentations over PowerPoint despite the more versatile PowerPoint. I read the Google Apps book ;) and found that Google Presentations meets the Common Core Standards for English Language Arts. Students are able to work collaboratively and can work on presenting all kinds of information within a certain context for a certain task. Students are not able to collaborate effectively using only PowerPoint.
PowerPoint would obviously be more useful for a teacher; however, if the teacher were to give students a group presentation assignment, then it would be far more feaseable to use the free Google Presentation software which would allow students to work together on the same document.

2 comments:

  1. Need more information about how Presentations is useful in addressing Common Core requirements. I do not find a link for me to see your presentation. You need to set up sharing appropriately and send the link to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For example, how would use of Presentations meet standards for English Language Arts? Actually, Presentations is specifically referenced as meeting standards in other areas, as well. Which ones? How would it be used in those areas?

    ReplyDelete